Uncomfortable Asking for Money?

 


Many nonprofits struggle with fundraising. I see several of them addressing funding concerns by adding events to their already busy calendars.

And I get it. An overwhelming majority of people aren’t comfortable with asking for money. It may seem easier to raise funds through ticket sales, silent auctions or cash bars. But in reality it takes a lot more time (not to mention energy) – from your staff and your volunteers.

I’d like to help organizations be more comfortable with asking for money. It ties into my 2023 theme of value proposition.

It’s easier to ask for money when you believe in yourself and you believe in what you’re asking money for. See and feel the value of yourself and what you bring to the table as well as your organization, your programs, your projects and the level of service that you bring to your community.

The first step, in my mind, is to realize (visualize) your own strengths and assets. We all have different personalities, different attitudes, different communication styles, and they ALL lend themselves to being able to ask others to support the things we believe in.

Take my family, for example:

My younger son is full of positivity, optimism and charm. He’s very good at persuading people to give him money – I should know, I’ve watched him do it to me for 24 years! It doesn’t hurt that he’s one of the luckiest people I know; he finds money everywhere he goes, without even having to ask. His relationship with money is one of abundance, he doesn’t worry about it and he always knows there’s more right around the corner. He doesn’t take a ‘no’ with heavy rejection, he just moves on to the next situation. He’s the guy you want working a room, talking to as many people as possible.

My older son is much more pensive, serious, and cautious. When it comes to money, he’s going to go on a fact-finding mission first. He isn’t going to approach you lightly. He will come to you with all the facts and present them in a very logical way, making a highly compelling case for the investment you could be making. He accepts rejection much more heavily, but first he’s going to approach you multiple times with additional facts and logic, hoping each time the seriousness of his ask will make more sense to you. This is your person if you’re looking for someone to talk to businesspeople or potential donors who are able to bestow major gifts.

And then there’s me. I’m an all-the-cards-on-the-table / big-picture person with tons of energy and enthusiasm. I tend to approach people with a lot of excitement about whatever program or project we’re addressing, how involved I am and how much I’m loving it. I’ll also tell you the goals we’re working toward and how BIG the things we can accomplish are if you’ll help. I won’t take a ‘no’ lightly, but I also won’t take it personally. And I’m not afraid to ask for big things at first and settle for something you’re more comfortable with. After all, I’ll never get a million if I don’t at least ask. But I’ll take $10,000 if that’s where you are. I’m the one you want for gaining awareness of your organization, specific programs or projects and getting people excited about being part of them.

Chances are that your nonprofit is made up of a diverse set of personalities – maybe some of them resemble what I’ve talked about here. If you can get each board member (aka ambassador) of your group to feel their value and utilize their personal traits you’ll have a team that can divide and conquer – finding funds of various sizes from all over your community, fewer events on your calendar, and more staff and volunteer time for running those fabulous programs and coordinating incredible projects.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Board Retreat Cheat Sheet

Creating Opportunities

STOP FUNDRAISING FOR YOUR FUNDRAISERS