I Witnessed 'The Dream'

I recently attended an event hosted by our local fine arts museum; it was a roving lecture on Pablo Picasso. We walked from room to room, hearing about his art (inspiring, innovative, and thought-provoking) and his personality (philandering, explosive, and troubled) as narrated by a curator. While not on the tour, guests were treated to mulled wine, charcuterie and holiday cheer in a large, open, rentable event space. As some friends and I sat at a table chatting, a man approached us – he was clearly excited about the event – and asked if we were having a good time and had we been on the tour yet.

Immediately, I knew what role this man had in the organization. I asked questions about the event space, which had one brick side and looked like it may have once been the original entrance to the museum. He very happily told us all about the renovations that had been done to the museum years ago and their plans for further renovations as well as the expansion onto an adjacent property which will soon begin.

I couldn’t help myself. I had to ask.

“You’re a board member of the nonprofit organization that runs this museum, aren’t you?”

“Yes!” he exclaimed, “I am.”

I don’t know what my friends thought about this exchange, but I was so excited I nearly jumped out of my chair and hugged him. This man, this board member, he’s a dream come true for a nonprofit organization.

Board members who voluntarily show up at events, mix and mingle with attendees, know the mission, history and future plans of the nonprofit, are clearly excited to be involved and who serve as cheerleaders, ambassadors for the organization…on their own time…this is how it should be.

There were several staff members present as well. Some at the door greeting guests, checking tickets and encouraging membership, some giving lectures and tours. Many volunteers were there as well, preparing and pouring mulled wine, keeping the charcuterie table stocked, ensuring the music was playing in the event space and monitoring the rooms that weren’t included in the Picasso tour. It didn’t seem there were any ‘assignments’ for board members; there was no formal obligation for them to fulfill. Which makes it even more impressive that they showed up anyway, just to show support and be involved.

This fine arts museum isn’t the only nonprofit organization in which I’ve witnessed this.Engaged board members aren't unicorns! They're real and they're in your community just waiting for the right opportunity. I’ve seen this – while not often enough – in a fair number of nonprofits, both big and small. So what’s the common thread? I can think of a few:

If you’re wondering how you can achieve the dream of engaged board members, I suggest you begin by pondering the items above and consider what you’re offering board members and what you’re asking of them. I’ve done a number of posts here and videos on YouTube on the topic of board engagement and have the opportunity to dive in a bit deeper during my presentation at the North Caroline Main Street Conference this spring. If your organization would benefit from some outside help and direction, LET’S TALK.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Board Retreat Cheat Sheet

Creating Opportunities

STOP FUNDRAISING FOR YOUR FUNDRAISERS